Friday, May 30, 2008

Traditions, Punishments, Natural Laxatives and How an Italian Soda Can Soothe the Soul...



This week has been event filled and busy. We enjoyed a laid back Memorial Day where the boys had fun making Smores at Grandma and Grandpa's house.
The last few days have been filled with end of the year stuff at school and parties and ball practice. On Tuesday, Jed gave his presentation to defend his thesis on campus. I was able to go and watch. He did a great job and it was fun for me to go and see him in that environment with his classmates. As I was walking back to the parking lot I couldn't help laughing at all the co-eds walking past and around me. They all had stuff hanging off or plastered to their backpacks - making a statement about themselves. [sigh] Ah, youth, when you feel that everything has to be a reflection of yourself and your "coolness". I giggled to myself as I noticed all the self-declarations. There is nothing like walking around a college campus to make yourself feel old and nostalgic. The perk of the walk I do have to share was a hottie saying to me:" Hey, I like your shoes!" I wonder if he saw me pulling away in my kid encrusted mini-van. LOL.
Today was the last day of school and in keeping with tradition, we went out to lunch and to Barnes and Noble as a reward for good report cards. Why is it that many rewards I give my children end up being punishments for me? First of all, I do not know what it is about B&N. It doesn't matter where we live, what time of day it is, if I have eaten recently or not but when I walk through those doors, fifteen minutes later I am sprinting for the bathroom. Enough said. Although I will say, Claire is following in my footsteps................and about an hour later I vowed never to come to this store again, especially with children! Which leads me to wistfully daydream about my love of amazon.com. Great prices, free fast shipping, shopping alone and in my pajamas need I say more? Now if only someone will start a local online grocery shopping business that could be amazon's equivalent. Oh, and delivered to my door in one hour or less! The good news was the B&N cafe and a grande hazelnut Italian soda with cream, whipped cream, and an extra shot of syrup, please! Somehow on the drive home, sipping on the devil's nectar made me love my children again, plan dinner and begin a plan of attack for our impending move. Sweet relief!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey there Suzanne. I don't know if you will remember me or not. Amy Shumway, from AK, now in ID. You were kind enough to bless us with your kitchen table and chairs and lots of other wonderful things when you moved from AK. I would love to email and communicate again. I got to your blog from Jen Stastny's blog. Love your blog... your kids have grown and are so cute! Love, Amy akshumwayfamily@yahoo.com